Helping Kids Sort Through Tragic Events in the News
When tragedy strikes in our nation or world - whether close to home or not - we often wonder how to sort through these events with our children. Here is a link to Fred Rogers website, aka Mr. Rogers, who has some good advice. http://www.fci.org/new-site/par-tragic-events.html
Also, from the American School Counselors Association:
Helping Kids During Crisis
• Try and keep routines as normal as possible. Kids gain security from the predictability of routine, including attending school.
• Limit exposure to television and the news.
• Be honest with kids and share with them as much information as they are developmentally able to handle.
• Listen to kids’ fears and concerns.
• Reassure kids that the world is a good place to be, but that there are people who do bad things.
• Parents and adults need to first deal with and assess their own responses to crisis and stress.
• Rebuild and reaffirm attachments and relationships.
Single Parent/Stepfamily Group
Murt Seltz, a retired Mounds View Chemical Dependency Counselor, will once again facilitate Single Parent/Stepfamily Groups for St. Odilia Middle School students. Heidi Wessman will co-facilitate. The group meetings will alternate 1st and 2nd hours for 10 sessions throughout the school year. The groups provide an opportunity for students to connect with other students who have similar family units. Please call Murt Seltz at 651-484-7846 for more information.